Saturday, March 27, 2010

Plans

When John Steinbeck made his quote "even the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry," I can't help but feel he was thinking of me.

All my life I've made plans; little blueprints of the future to help guide me. Well, that was before I realized that just because you've made them doesn't mean they'll go that way. I asked myself a question that still plagues me today, "To plan or not to plan?"

As we get older we tend to have a set vision of where our lives are going, where we've been, and how to avoid the proverbial potholes in our way. All in all, we are creatures of habit and making plans has to be the nastiest habit of them all. By trying to organize our lives, we tell everyone in a silent voice to go ahead and screw with them. Wether we advertise this truth or not, we can't deny that once plans have been discussed, they all fail or at least go awry. It's a flashing sign to the universe that says "I've got things from here, take a break." Very funny. You can never have your cake and eat it too, esp. when you think you're in control. If it's been proven once, it's been proven a hundred times more.

So do we go with the flow and handle what life throws at us or plan twice as hard in hopes that some will stick and the ones that dont, hey, at least we'll be prepared? When you find you way of doing things, keep it silent and pray that no one else finds out or once again, you'll have a candle but no matches to light it with.

No comments: