Thursday, April 16, 2009

Someone once asked me...

"Have you ever just sat outside and try to slow everything down.
Just to sit out there and do nothing but look at what is around you?"
I sat there, and thought of all the times I had. Laying in my grass, with the sun shining on my face, and the breeze blowing my hair. I would lay for hours, or until my mom called me in; just laying in the grass, watching the world turn. The sad thing is I only took the time to slow things down when I was fed up and done; done with the world and it's worries, done with life, done with it all. I never took the time to look around me because I was to busy watching everthing pass me by. I was always chasing something; some moment in time that I knew I would never grasp. As I came to this sad realization, I couldn't help but feel like I was chasing the wrong things. I would chase everything except the things worth the time and effort. I always ended up empty handed, and oddly determined that the next wouldn't escape. The next and the next, they all went through like water pouring though a drain. Time was wizzing down the drain, and all I could do was watch it twril. Sitting with my computer in my lap, I wanted to weep. Weep for the times lost and the regets I had chased. Like the rays of light bouncing off my hair, I stood up and went outside. I was fed up and done with the world and it's worries, life in general, and the latest "dream" lost. I took my laptop, and here I sit. One question was all it took to wake me up. One simple question to spark the life that had slept for so long. My fingers glide across my slick keys, and my ears perk as birds sing and woodsaws buzz. Looking around now, I now know what I should be chasing, what is actually worth catching. Peace. Wind through my hair. Sun on my skin. I shouldn't be chasing life, but letting life chase me. As I type the last sentences, I can't help but feel incredibly small. In some ways feeling small helps to show you how little you do actually have worry about, and that being small in such a big world is quite alright.

(A special thanks to a certain muse who helped "wake me up" in a sense.)

No comments: